The new Land Rover Explore mobile phone is the toughest phone in the world, built to work in places other phones can’t reach.
The mobile, inspired by Land Rover’s rugged ‘go anywhere’ 4x4s for those with an adventurous spirit, is capable of operating and navigating in extreme conditions for two full days with the screen on constantly.
Battery life can be doubled by using an Adventure Pack that also boosts the reliability and accuracy of the GPS signal and improves the mapping capabilities.
The ultra-durable phone is powered by a super powerful 4000m Ah battery with a factory fitted screen protector and protective case than can survive underwater to 1.8 metres – including salt water.
It can cope with extreme temperatures from freezing cold to blistering heat, thermal shock, intense humidity and vibration exposure.
The full HD five inch screen can be controlled even when wet and with gloved hands and has instant access to weather information and mapping data, plus its own compass and SOS light making it the perfect phone for hiking, biking, skiing or off-road adventures.
The phone is fully compatible with all Land Rover in-car Apps and works as well in the city as it does in the great outdoors. It is available with hardware packs, including an additional battery and bike mount.
Joe Sinclair, Director of Branded Goods and Licensing, Jaguar Land Rover, said: “This is the smartphone we’d all like to own – a perfect combination of design and functionality that embodies the Land Rover DNA and enables customers to be outdoors for longer, with the confidence to go further.”
Developed by Land Rover and the Bullitt Group the Explore phone with Adventure Pack costs £599 and will be revealed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on 26th February.
Land Rover Explore outdoor phone specifications
- Huge battery (4000mAh) plus add-on battery pack
- IP68 splash, water and dust resistance
- Drop-proof to 1.8 metres with factory-fitted screen protector
- Premium grade, detailed off-road topographical mapping options from ViewRanger with Augmented Reality Skyline feature
- In-box premium off-road mapping voucher, giving a choice of country-wide or custom region topographical maps in many markets.
- Customisable outdoor dashboard to access to the most important weather information, sensor data, and on-device tools for your activity: eg weather, wind, tides, compass, SOS light
- Android Nougat OS, with scheduled upgrade to Oreo
- 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM, expandable via microSD
- Deca-core 2.6GHz 64 bit MTK Helio X27 chipset with dual SIM functionality
- 16MP rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4x digital zoom
- Bright five-inch FHD display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protected, optimised for outdoor use
- Touchscreen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
- Night red filter mode reduces screen glare, preserving natural vision in low light and at night
- LTE Cat 6
- Curated apps and content catalogue relevant to outdoor pursuits
Adventure Pack specification
- 3600mAh additional battery
- 25 x 25mm ceramic patch GPS antenna
- TPU protective case
- Stainless steel carabiner with canvas strap
- IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested
Bike Pack specification
- Bike mount and case for both stem and handlebar
- Tilt to adjust viewing angle or change device orientation
Battery Pack specification
- Ultimate battery performance, additional 4,370 mAh of battery capacity
- IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested